This olive oil cake is super moist thanks to the addition of yogurt. I love it and think it’s great on it’s own or as the perfect base for your favorite flavors.
Only 7 Simple Ingredients
I use some very simple ingredients in this recipe:
- Natural Yogurt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (of course)
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
Can I Bake With Yogurt?
Yogurt can absolutely be used in baking! Yogurt is used in recipes around the world.
Greek yogurt can add a great tanginess to yogurt bread recipes.
For a twist, you can also use it in waffles, pancakes, and muffins.
What Does Yogurt Do in a Cake?
Yogurt is a great addition to this Greek yogurt cake recipe.
Yogurt is creamy and helps keep baked goods moist.
However, it is the acidity in yogurt that plays an important role in baking. This acidity is what helps activate the leavening agent used in the various recipes.
In this recipe I use baking soda. Baking powder and yeast would also be examples of other leavening agents.
Can I Use Mayo Instead of Yogurt?
I like what you are thinking but mayonnaise would not work in place of yogurt in this olive oil cake recipe.
One of the reasons yogurt is used here is due to that acidity I mentioned above. Unfortunately, mayonnaise does not have the acidity needed to activate the baking soda.
If you are interested in experimenting and want to substitute mayonnaise in place of the yogurt, try 1 tsp of baking powder in place of the baking soda.
Baking powder contains it’s own acid but it is less potent than baking soda, so you will need to use 3-4 times more for the same results.
Have you tried my easy, olive oil mayonnaise recipe?
I’d love to know different ways you have found to incorporate it into your own recipes.
Do Olive Oil Cakes Taste Good?
You can make this cake with Greek or Italian olive oil. Whatever your preference, I suggest a mild tasting olive oil.
This cake recipe is super moist and fluffy. You can use it as a starting point and add your own flavors.
- Lemon Zest
- Orange Zest
- Flavored Yogurt
- Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Poppy Seeds
Kim and Kourtney Kardashian love olive oil cake. The Kardashians get their “Bomb Ass Olive Oil Cake” from Little House Confections in Los Angeles.
Kylie Jenner is also a huge fan of olive oil cakes. Well, can you blame her?
Do You Prefer to See it Made? Watch on YouTube.
Is Olive Oil Cake Healthier Than Regular Cake?
Healthy is a relative term when you are talking about cake. Most baked goods we call cake are not health foods. However, there are healthy substitutions you can make in any dish to make it better.
I love olive oil and really believe in the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil. It is my main cooking oil and I substitute it in recipes every chance I get.
After you try this recipe, try my Orange and Olive Oil Cake recipe. It’s completely different and I think you’ll love it too.
Super Moist Olive Oil Cake
- 3 Eggs, Large
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cup Natural Yogurt
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour Sifted
- ⅓ tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C)
- Prepare a narrow and tall mold, either round or rectangular (coat with a little oil and sprinkle with flour). A loaf pan works great.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, and salt in a large bowl for approximately 30 seconds until well mixed and airy.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and yogurt, and continue beating.
- Incorporate the baking powder and flour a little at a time. Each time mix until it is all integrated.
- Once all the ingredients are well beaten, pour the cake batter in the mold and bake for 40-45 min (do not open the oven for the first 30 min).
- It is done when it is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven and let the cake rest inside with the door open for 15 min. Remove from the oven and let it rest for another 20-30 min before removing from the cake pan.