A simple, fresh marinade makes this roasted chicken with olive oil a star at your next family dinner. Fennel is a wonderful aromatic vegetable and roasts well in this olive oil dish.
What Can I Use As a Substitute for Fennel?
Some people cannot find fresh fennel in their local grocery store or simply don’t enjoy it’s flavor. In a recipe that roasts fennel, the easiest substitute is an equivalent amount of white or yellow onion.
Fresh Ingredients Make the Difference
This is a delicious, easy marinade with a few simple ingredients:
- Fresh Orange and Grapefruit
- Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh Garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Vermouth or White Wine
Easy Steps to Prepare the Marinade
Combine the honey, mustard, vermouth, and olive oil in a mixing bowl.
Feel free to substitute white wine in place of the vermouth.
Slice the fennel and half of each of the orange and grapefruit.
Finely chop or mince the garlic and ginger.
Juice the unused half or the orange and grapefruit.
Add salt, pepper, and other ingredients listed above to the olive oil mixture.
Add chicken leg quarters to the bowl.
Toss everything together with your hands until the chicken is coated well.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This can be refrigerated overnight, for up to 12 hours.
Roast the Olive Oil Marinated Chicken
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Spread the chicken, fennel, and citrus slices evenly in a baking dish.
Pour all of the liquid marinade over the chicken.
Bake chicken for 45-50 minutes or until internal temperature is 165F.
If marinade starts to dry out, add additional water or chicken stock to pan.
Remove from oven and garnish with coriander or parsley leaves.
I’m sure you will love this roasted citrus chicken with olive oil and citrus marinade as much as I do.
Please comment below with your thoughts and share how you adapted it to your own tastes.
Roasted Chicken with Olive Oil and Citrus Marinade
- 3 Chicken Leg Quarters
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp Mustard
- 2 oz Vermouth or White Wine
- 3 oz Olive Oil
- 1 Fennel
- 1 Grapefruit
- 1 Orange
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger Fresh
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the honey, mustard, vermouth, and olive oil.
- Slice the fennel bulb and half of each fruit and add to the marinade.
- Chop the garlic and ginger and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from the other half of the orange and grapefruit and add the juice to the mix.
- Add salt, pepper and the chicken. Mix well and let it marinate in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Pour the chicken with the vegetables and all the marinade in a baking dish and cook for approximately 45-50 minutes, until everything is golden, crisp and caramelized.
- Chicken temperature should read 165° on an instant-read digital thermometer.
- Add water or stock during the cooking time if needed.
- Garnish with coriander or parsley leaves.