To make homemade pasta that little bit different, add spinach to the dough to produce elegant and delicious green fettuccine. Of course, fresh spinach pasta is delicious with all kinds of sauces, but for our Sunday lunch, we decided to add mushroom-and-beef ragù, sautéed with extra virgin olive oil. It’s worth stressing that this is a filling dish, rich in carbohydrates and protein, but it’s also high in nutritional value, with plenty of antioxidants, fibre, minerals and vitamins, thanks to the choice of healthy ingredients.
This is a challenging fresh pasta recipe, and it takes time and effort to get it right that’s why we leave it for the weekend. It’s important to work slowly and carefully, but it’s worth the wait. It’s better to prepare the sauce before making the homemade pasta.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HOMEMADE PASTA
600 grams of durum wheat semolina (this type of flour is the secret to getting al dente spinach fresh pasta)
5 organic eggs
10 grams of salt
110 grams of cooked spinach
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE
200 grams of extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1 slice of onion
1 small carrot
1 stalk of celery
300 grams of ground beef (grind your own high quality cuts of meat)
1 kg of fresh champignon mushrooms
PREPARING THE SAUCE
Wash the mushrooms and slice them. In a sauté pan, heat 100 grams of extra virgin olive oil along with the garlic, and when the garlic becomes fragrant, add the mushrooms. Add a little salt. When the water has evaporated from the mushrooms, fry them for five minutes. Heat 100 grams of extra virgin olive oil along with the grated carrot and onion in a sauté pan and sauté for a few minutes before adding the ground beef and a little salt. Stir until the beef is lightly toasted. Finally, add the mushrooms to the beef with 450 ml of water and the celery. Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes. Season with salt. I added the water to produce a sauce that will help us to make the spinach pasta more succulent and tasty, otherwise the fresh pasta may become too dry (always a risk with egg pasta).
TO PREPARE THE HOMEMADE PASTA
Cook the spinach in a little boiling water for few minutes, drain and squeeze thoroughly, then chop finely.
Preparing the homemade spinach pasta is not too difficult, read the instructions or just watch the video below.
– Mound the flour on a kitchen work surface and make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs in the well and add the salt. Beat the eggs with a fork, then add the spinach and mix until eggs and spinach are well combined. Begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well.
– When all the mixture has been absorbed by the flour, start to knead with your hand. At the beginning of the work, fresh pasta tends to crumble, but you pick up the little pieces of dough and incorporate them in the dough and work it with the palm of your hand until it becomes a cohesive mass.
– Divide the dough into 5 pieces. Dust the work surface with flour. Take one piece of dough and push it down with the palm of your hand. Set roller of pasta machine at widest setting. Feed the pasta through the roller, fold sheet in half and continue feeding the sheet in the widest settings until the dough is smooth and it has a perfect rectangular shape.
– Sprinkle the flour on the pasta sheet, set roller of pasta machine at position n°2 and feed the dough through the pasta machine, continue doing so until the penultimate setting.
– Cut the sheets of dough crosswise into 25 cm length pieces.
– Let fresh pasta sheets dry for about 20 minutes.
– Dust the pasta sheets with flour and feed them in the fettuccine cutter one at time. Put fettuccine in a large tray, dusted with flour.
Boil the water (1 L of water per 100 g of pasta). When the water boils, add the salt and the spinach pasta. Stir the spinach pasta, preferably with a wooden fork. This is a very delicate stage, since the fettuccine should only remain in the water for 45-50 seconds, otherwise the pasta will not be al dente. Drain the spinach pasta and mix in the sauce. If necessary add a little bit of cooking water.
Stir and serve hot.
Did you like our fresh pasta recipe? If so, please like and share with your friends!
You might also like